Makes approximately 2 dozen small scones
- 2 cups all purpose gluten free flour**
- ** Tip: I used King Arthur’s brand mix but, you can use any homemade gluten free flour mix, other gluten free brand, or whole wheat flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon xanthan gum (Tip: If your gluten free flour mix has xanthan gum already, you may omit this)
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- pinch salt
- 15 ounces pumpkin puree
- 1/2 cup non dairy milk
- 1/3 cup palm sugar
- 1/3 cup pecans, roughly chopped
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon orange zest
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Heat oven to 350F
1.In a large mixing bowl, sift together flour, baking flour, baking soda, xantham gum (if using), spices, and salt.
2.In a separate bowl, combine pumpkin puree, non-dairy milk, sugar, pecan pieces, maple syrup, orange zest, and vanilla extract
3.Add wet ingredients into dry, and mix together until well combined. (Tip: The dough will be very wet, but should congeal together well).
4.On a baking sheet, rubbed with coconut oil, or non stick spray, roll out dough about 3/4” thick. (Tip: To make rolling easier, place wax paper between dough and rolling pin, to keep dough from sticking to pin.) Using a butter knife, cut scones into desired shape.
5.Bake scones for 8 minutes, rotate to ensure even browning, and bake another 5 minutes more. Cut scones again to separate scones from each other, and bake 3 more minutes to bake off edges. Top with Maple Glaze and more chopped pecans, if desired.
Makes about 1/2 cup glaze, enough to glaze scones
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 2 teaspoon non-dairy milk
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1.Sift powdered sugar into a small mixing bowl. Add maple syrup, non-dairy milk, and vanilla extract, and mix together until smooth. If using to glaze scones, press the tops of the scones into the glaze.