Wondering how to get more fruits and vegetables into your diet?
Fall is a great time for soups and stews to increase your intake. Try this recipe for a heart-healthy, nutrient rich meal for your family:
Slow-Cooker Beef Stew
Yield: 4 servings Time: 6-8 hours Active Time: 30-35 minutes
- 1 pound extra lean stew beef, cut into 1” cubes
- 1 can (28oz) whole peeled tomatoes, no sodium added
- 1 cup fat-free, low- sodium beef broth
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup celery, chopped (about 4 stalks)
- ½ medium yellow onion, diced
- 2 cups carrots, chopped (about 5 large carrots)
- 2 cups zucchini, chopped (1-2 large zucchini)
- 1 sprig of fresh rosemary, extra sprigs for garnish, if desired
Place all ingredients in a slow-cooker and heat on low for 6-8 hours. Remove rosemary sprig prior to serving. Serve warm with ½ cup whole wheat pasta or ¾ cup Mashed Cauliflower.
Photo Credit: www.kelseysappleaday.blogspot.com via www.healthyaperture.com