I like that Root Beer is somewhat a mixture of spicy and sweet, ginger and earthly notes mixed with caramel and vanilla. As I was enjoying an ice-cold bottle once, the thought crossed my mind that root beer would make a nice flavor of cupcake. Inspired, I wanted to make a Root Beer cupcake that would be like eating a Root Beer float. The cake is mildly chocolate, infused with Root Beer’s gingery warm flavors, and the frosting is a sweet vanilla, reminiscent of the ice cream in a classic float.
Makes 12 cupcakes
- 1 cup Root beer
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 1/3 cup coconut oil, melted
- ¾ cup sugar
- ½ teaspoon vanilla
- ¼ teaspoon molasses
- 1 ½ cup flour
- 1 tablespoon cocoa powder
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon ground ginger
- ¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- ¾ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- pinch salt
Vanilla Glaze (recipe below)
Chocolate Drizzle (recipe below)
Heat the oven to 350 F
- In a small bowl, combine the Root beer and vinegar. In a separate large bowl, combine melted coconut oil, sugar, vanilla, and molasses. Add the Root beer mixture to the sugar mixture.
- Into the liquid ingredients, sift if the flour, cocoa powder, spices, baking soda, baking powder, and salt.
- Fill a prepared cupcake sheet pan with the batter and bake for 20 – 25 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean when poked in the center of a cupcake.
- 3-5 tablespoon soy milk
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
Tip: Let the cupcakes cool completely before frosting them, or the frosting with melt and slide off the cupcakes.
- Adding 1 tablespoon of soy milk at a time, thin powdered sugar to desired consistency. Stir in vanilla.
- Dip the tops of the cupcakes into the vanilla glaze, allow for the glaze to completely dry and set before adding the chocolate drizzle. The cupcakes may need to be dipped twice to achieve an opaque white appearance.
- ½ bag vegan chocolate chips
- ¼ cup soy milk (or any non-dairy milk)
- Heat soy milk in a microwave for 1 min or over the stove until the milk begins to steam.
- Add chocolate chips to hot milk and stir until melted.
- Drizzle using a squeeze bottle or fork, adding chocolate sprinkles if desired.
This dessert is Vegan, Non Dairy