This salad features a host of vibrant red hues from the deep reddish purple of the roasted beets to the light crimson red of the radishes. The red hue is indicative of anthocyanins, a class of flavonoid antioxidants, which protect the blood vessels from rupture, enhance the action of vitamin C, and aid against inflammation. Using arugula, or rocket greens, kicks up the flavor of this salad by adding a hint of spiciness. The dressing is made from a Pistachio Mint Pesto and white wine vinegar.
- 10 ounces arugula
- 8 ounces red beets
- 1 tablespoon grapeseed oil
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 bunch red radish
- 2 blood oranges
- Pistachio Mint Pesto Dressing (recipe below), to taste
Heat oven to 350F
- Peel beets, drizzle with oil, season with salt, and roast for 10 - 20 minutes, until beets can be easily pierced with a fork. Let beets cool, and slice 1/4” thick rounds.
- While beets are cooking, slice radishes using a mandolin, or as thinly as possible. Supreme the oranges.
- To assemble salad, dress arugula with dressing and plate. Add beets, radish, and oranges.
Pistachio Mint Pesto Dressing
Makes about 1 1/2 cups
- 1 cup shelled, unsalted pistachios
- 6 ounces mint
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon white miso
- 1/2 teaspoon umeboshi paste
- 1 tablespoon nutritional yeast
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt, or to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon peppercorns
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice, or to taste
- 1 – 4 tablespoons water
- 2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- In the work bowl of a food processor fitted with its steel blade, combine all ingredients except water and white wine vinegar, and process until only small chunks are visible. Add a tablespoon of water at a time to thin the pesto mixture for better processing, if needed.
- To make the dressing, mix together in a small bowl 4 tablespoons of pesto, 2 tablespoons of water, and 2 tablespoons of white wine vinegar.
This recipe is: Vegan, Gluten Free, Dairy Free