Coconut milk, almond milk, rice milk, hemp milk… So many to chose from! A new type of milk is constantly released onto the market and choosing the right one for you can be daunting. Some of us are not able to tolerate cow’s milk or chose to drink non-dairy milks to promote animal right. Whatever your reason for not drinking cow’s milk, determining which non-dairy milk to consume can be daunting. Let me making it easy for you.
During the product review, I compared the nutrition facts of one cup of each product’s original flavors. The best milk for you depends on what your body is lacking in your diet. Whether you need more protein, less calories or more good fats, there is a milk for you.
Soy milk provided the highest amount of protein and is an excellent source of calcium, vitamin D, riboflavin and vitamin B12. However, soymilk was among the highest in calories and saturated fat.
Almond milk contained the least amount of calories and fat, and it was an excellent source of vitamin A, calcium, vitamin D, vitamin E, riboflavin and vitamin B12. Coconut milk had the highest amount of saturated fat, was lower in calories and was an excellent source of calcium, vitamin D and vitamin B12.
Rice milk was high in calories and sugar, and it was an excellent source of calcium, vitamin D and vitamin B12. Hemp milk contained omega 3 fatty acids, which help your body fight disease by decreasing inflammation. Also, it was an excellent source of calcium, vitamin D and vitamin B12.
Most of the non-dairy milks contain sweetened, unsweetened and low-calorie options. Therefore, when in doubt, read the nutrition labels! Know what food you put in your body and be conscious of portion sizes. No one knows your body like yourself, so listen to it!
- “Nutrition Facts.” Silk® Original. Web. 15 Dec. 2012. <http://silksoymilk.com/nutriInfo/PlainNATQuart.htm>.
- “Soy Dream® Classic Original.” Taste the Dream.” Rice Dream®. Web 15 Dec. 2012. <http://www.tastethedream.com/products/product/1502/199.php>.
- “Nutrition Facts.” Silk Pure Almond®. Web. 15 Dec. 2012. <http://www.silkpurealmond.com/products/>.
- “Nutrition Facts.” Almond Breeze® Almond Milk. Web. 14 Dec. 2012. <http://almondbreeze.com/?navid=329&pid=330>.
- “Almond Dream® Original.” Taste the Dream.” Rice Dream®. Web 15 Dec. 2012. <http://www.tastethedream.com/products/product/1938/360.php>.
- “Nutrition Facts.” Silk Pure Coconut®. Web. 15 Dec. 2012. <http://www.silkpurecoconut.com/>.
- “Rice Dream® Enriched Refrigerated Original.” Taste the Dream.” Rice Dream®. Web 15 Dec. 2012. <http://www.tastethedream.com/products/product/1481/203.php>.
- “Nutrition Facts.” Living Harvest® Hempmilk Tempt. Web. 14 Dec. 2012. <http://livingharvest.com/products/nutrition-facts#milk>.