This is a great summer dessert featuring seasonal fruit and whole grains. You can use any fruit (pears, apples, plums) and berries (strawberries, raspberries, blueberries, blackberries, cherries) that are in season in your area. This recipe is gluten-free (be sure to get gluten-free oats if this is important to you!), dairy-free, and more spicy than sweet. The natural flavors of whole ingredients really come through. Try it for breakfast!
- 2 pounds fresh, ripe pears (peeled, sliced)
- 1 pound organic strawberries, cut in half
- 2 Tbsp cornstarch
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- ½ tsp powdered ginger
- ¼ tsp ground cloves
- ½ cup organic maple syrup
- ¼ cup organic maple syrup
- 3 Tbsp almond butter
- 2 Tbsp un-sweetened applesauce (try “mixed berry”)
- 1 tsp real vanilla extract
- 1.5 cups rolled oats
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- ¼ tsp salt
- Preheat your oven to 400 degrees.
- Line an 8×8 glass baking pan with parchment paper, making sure it covers all sides completely.
- Place fruit in a large bowl. Sprinkle with cornstarch, cinnamon, ginger, and cloves. Place in baking pan. Drizzle evenly with syrup.
- Prepare topping: use a fork to stir together syrup, butter, applesauce, and vanilla. Add remaining ingredients and toss to coat.
- Sprinkle topping over fruit mixture. Bake for 20 minutes at 400 degrees. Reduce heat to 350 and bake an additional 20 minutes. Serve warm.