The average serving of 16 nachos (with just cheese) is:
- at least 700 calories, about 40 grams of fat and, and >1500mg of sodium.
Holy heart attack! Believe me-I want you to enjoy your food but ooey gooey tasty doesn’t have to be like this. A much better choice?
My healthy version, 16 nachos
- 240 calories
- 6 grams of fat
- 650 mg sodium
- (not to mention 11 grams of protein and 8.5 grams of FIBER as an added bonus)
Not Your Average Nacho
The first step is making your own chips. Hey, wait, come back here! It’s really not hard at all.
For an individual portion:
- 2 corn tortillas (4″ diameter) *lots of GF options avail if needed, read label!
- Cooking Spray or Mister filled with cooking oil
- 1/2 Lime or ~1 Tbsp Lime juice
- 1/2 teaspoon Salt (optional)
- 1 Tbsp ground Cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon chili powder (optional)
- Heat oven to 350 degrees.
- Stack tortillas and slice into 8 sections with knife (or pizza cutter works well)
- Place on cooking sheet spread out.
- Spray all pieces lightly with cooking spray or Mister.
- Mix salt, cumin and chili powder in bowl and then evenly sprinkle over pieces.
- Drizzle lime juice lightly over all.
Bake for 8 minutes, then flip pieces over, quick spray of cooking oil and bake for another 7 minutes. Voila! Your own tasty chips for ~120 calories. *Can be made in larger quantities and stored in air-tight container.
For the nachos:
- 2 Tbsp Black Beans (I use canned organic no salt added-EASY)
- 3 Tbsp Salsa (so here’s where sodium content varies..check label or make your own for LOWER)
- 2 Tbsp Yellow corn (if using canned, no salt added)
- 8+ Jalapeno slices (up to you)
- 2 Tbsp shredded Cheese (*soy for vegetarian or regular if GF needed)
- 2 Tbsp diced fresh Tomato
Set oven to broil (~500 degrees).
Group chips together but not overlapping on cooking sheet or oven safe serving dish.
Distribute all ingredients (except fresh tomatoes) evenly over chips.
Place in oven for 5 minutes until cheese is melted.
Remove from oven and cover with chopped fresh tomatoes.
Can also top with fresh cilantro and a little Greek yogurt, if desired.
- Add shredded zucchini
- Use a unique salsa like pineapple or mango, which work very well with black beans
- Top with a healthy chili