Makes 8 rolls
- 1 cup cooked rice vermicelli
- 8 rice paper wrappers (8-12 inch diameter)
- 12 jumbo shrimp
- ¼ pound pork tenderloin
- 1 medium cucumber, halved lengthwise and thinly sliced lengthwise
- 4 green leafy lettuce, cut in half along the stem
- 1 cup bean sprouts
- 8 cilantro sprigs (6 inch length)
- 8 chive sprigs (6 inch length)
- 32 mint leaves
- 32 Thai basil leaves
- 1 tbs sugar
- 2 tbs crunchy peanut butter
- 1 tbs olive oil
- 1 cup hoisin sauce
- ¼ cup tap water
- 1 tsp garlic chili paste or Sriracha sauce
1) Boil rice vermicelli according to package. Drain. Set aside to cool.
2) Rinse and boil shrimp. Drain, peel, de-vein and sliced in half lengthwise. Set aside to cool.
3) Trim pork tenderloin. Boil, drain and slice into thin strips lengthwise. Set aside to cool.
4) Prepare each roll one at a time otherwise rice paper will dry out.
5) Dip the rice paper in a large bowl of warm water to soften.
6) Lay the rice paper on a flat surface.
7) Stack an even amount of pork slices vermicelli, bean sprouts, ½ lettuce leaf, 1 cucumber slice, and herbs at the bottom edge of the rice paper an inch in thickness and leaving an inch space at the bottom/left/right sides for rolling.
Flip the sides in over the filling.
9) Roll the rice paper from the bottom once, tucking the filling along the way.
10) Lay 3 shrimp halves on the roll.
11) Continue to tuck and roll the rice paper until you get a nice tight spring roll.
12) Repeat steps 5-11 to make 8 spring rolls.
13) Peanut Sauce: In a small saucepan over low heat, combine sugar, peanut butter, olive oil, hoisin sauce and water. Stir until evenly mixed. Remove from heat and pour into serving bowl. Top with garlic chili paste or Sriracha sauce.
14) Liberally dip each spring roll into peanut sauce. Eat, share and enjoy!
Nutrition Facts (SparkPeople.com Nutrition Calculator)
1 spring roll: 141 kcal, 1.7 gm fat (0.3 gm sat fat), 22.2 gm carbohydrate, 9.2 gm protein
3 tbsp peanut sauce: 112 kcal, 4.8 gm fat (0.8 gm sat fat), 15.7 gm carbohydrate, 2.0 gm protein
By Canh-Lien Nguyen, RD, LD