Growing up in Texas, I have been surrounded by Tex-Mex influences from a young age, and developed a great fondness for Mexican cuisine. Sopa de Tortilla (Tortilla Soup) is a Mexican dish typically made using chicken broth and chicken breast. To re-create this soup after adopting a vegetarian diet, I omitted the chicken in place of hearty potatoes and sweet zucchini. All the flavor lies in developing a spicy tomato base that won’t make you notice the meat is missing!
1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
1 medium yellow onion, thinly sliced
1 medium red bell pepper, seeded, and thinly slices
5 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
2 cup water
1 can (15 oz) fire roasted diced tomatoes
1 ancho chili
1 teaspoon chili molido
1 teaspoon paprika
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
1/2 teaspoon salt, to taste
2 quarts “No Chicken” broth or low sodium vegetable broth
1 large zucchini, small dice
3/4 pound red creamer potatoes, small dice
1. Heat enough water, about 1 1/2 cup, to soak ancho chili until rehydrated and soft, about 10 minutes.
2. In a large sauce pan, heat oil over medium to high heat. Sauté onions, red bell pepper, and garlic for a minute. Cover pan and let steam for 5 minutes. Uncover and continue to cook until onions start to brown. Add ½ cup water and cook until all water is absorbed.
3. Remove onion mixture from heat and let cool. In a blender, puree onion mixture, tomatoes, and rehydrated ancho chili, until silky smooth.
4. Add onion-tomato mixture to soup pot and heat until mixture begins to bubble and boil. Stir in spices and add broth. Bring to a boil.
5. Add potatoes to boiling soup, and reduce to a simmer. Cook until fork tender. Add zucchini and cook another 2 – 5 minutes, or until al dente.
6. Garnish with baked corn tortilla chip strips, sliced avocado and Lime Cilantro Creme (recipe to follow)
Lime Cilantro Crème
Makes about 1 cup
6 ounces soft silken tofu
juice of 1 lime
1/4 cilantro leaves
1 teaspoon agave
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 dashes cayenne
1. In a blender, combine all ingredients until smooth.
This recipe is: Vegan, Dairy Free, Gluten Free