Recipe makes~4 servings
- ½ c farro (uncooked)
- 8 oz pre-cooked cocktail shrimp, frozen
- 1-2 Tbsp olive oil
- 2 cloves fresh garlic, minced
- ½ c onion, raw chopped
- 2 Tbsp Mexican chili powder
- ½ c low sodium chicken broth
- 1 Tbsp Mrs. Dash Fiesta Lime seasoning
- ¼ tsp salt
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 c alfredo (Bertoli Garlic Alfredo with Aged Parmesan Cheese Sauce)
- Follow directions for preparation of farro per package. In general, combine water and 1c farro in a pot and bring to a boil. Simmer until tender, then drain/rinse.
- While farro is cooking, thaw shrimp under cold running water. Remove tails if needed.
- In a deep fry-pan, add garlic and olive oil, and then add onions. Once onions are translucent, add chili powder and fiesta lime seasoning.
- Add cooked farro and shrimp to fry-pan and stir to combine. Then add remainder of seasonings (salt, pepper, garlic powder) and broth to pan; simmer until broth has reduced almost completely.
- Finally, mix in alfredo sauce. Heat mixture thoroughly, and then remove from heat.
- Allow mixture to sit 5 minutes to thicken.
- 4 hot dog buns (or whatever is on hand)
- 2 Tbsp Country Crock margarine OR cooking spray
- 1 c Romaine lettuce
- Spread thin layer of Country Crock on hot dog bun OR spray thoroughly with cooking spray.
- Grill buns open faced in a hot pan until golden brown.
- Top 1 grilled bun with lettuce and 1 serving shrimp salad.
Per Serving (Shrimp Salad only): Calories: 260, Carbs: 21g, Fat 15g, Protein: 13g
Per Serving on Toasted Bun: Calories: 400, Carbs: 42g, Fat 21g, Protein: 16g
Hot dog bun adds ~110 calories
Margarine adds ~30 calories
Cooking spray adds ~0 calories
*Approximate values obtained from MyFitnessPal
Recipe developed by: Amanda E Kruse RD, CD & Spencer D Hotz