Enjoy this Enchilada recipe crafted in our home kitchen & have a Sunday-evening fiesta of your own!
This recipe can be crafted vegetarian with a mixture of beans or lower in fat and calories by using turkey meat in place of ground beef.
- (10) 8” Flour Tortillas
- 1# Lean Ground Beef (90/10)
- 1 Taco Seasoning (hot) packet
- 1½ Bell Peppers, diced
- ½ cup Banana Peppers, diced
- 2c Shredded 2% Mexican Blend Cheese
- 1 Taco Seasoning (mild) packet
- 12 oz (small tub) Light Sour Cream
- (2) 8-ounce cans No-Salt Added Crushed Tomatoes
- 2 Serrano Peppers
- 3 Jalapeno Peppers
- 1.5 Tbsp Chili Powder
- 2 tsp Ground Cumin
- ½ tsp Oregano
- 1 clove Garlic, peeled
- ½ White Onion, chopped
- ½ c lime juice
- Cover oven rack with aluminum foil, pre-heat oven to 350*F.
- Brown 1# of beef, adding diced bell and banana peppers for flavor. Once cooked (155*F), drain fat.
- While beef is browning, add the ingredients for Sauce 2 into a blender (immersion blender or food processor also works), blend until smooth and set aside
- Add ½ packet of “hot” taco seasoning to browned beef, stir, and set aside.
- In a separate bowl, combine sour cream and ½ packet of “mild” taco seasoning, set aside.
- Spray 9”x11” pan & start to assemble your enchiladas – 10 should fit comfortably
- Fill tortilla with ½ cup taco meat and a sprinkle of cheese, roll into a “burrito shape”, tucking in edges so that filling stays in. Repeat until pan is full.
- Layer sauce mixtures and cheese evenly over enchiladas:
- Spread sour cream mixture
- Sprinkle a layer of cheese
- Pour sauce evenly
- Cover the top with one last layer of cheese
Wondering what else you can add to your plate? Serve enchiladas with a side of black beans, corn, and diced bell peppers or Mexican-Style rice! Have leftovers? Cut up an enchilada on a bed of lettuce with salsa as the dressing for a quick salad!
Nutrition Facts *Per Enchilada*
Calories – 445 Total Fat – 16g Total Carbohydrate – 51g Protein – 24g
*approximate values obtained from myfitnesspal.com
Photo Credit: http://lh5.ggpht.com/_OaYG005JPDs/S1N_v3pCgMI/AAAAAAAAAtA/dZ2byxVEBLw/s400/Sweet%20Potato%20Enchiladas.jpg