Research shows that people who snack between meals are less likely to be obese or overweight.
Choosing a snack high in fiber and protein can help satisfy hunger and keep you full longer.
Almond Trail Mix
Prep Time: 10 Minutes, Ready In: 10 Minutes, Servings: 16
- 1/2 cup whole almonds, toasted
- 1 1/2 cups mixed dried fruit
- 4 cups shredded wheat
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 cup shredded coconut
- Toss cereal with cinnamon in large bowl
- Add remaining ingredients; mix lightly.
Nutrition information (per serving): Calories 121, total fat 3.9gm, total carbohydrates 21.5gm, protein 2.5g
Here are 5 healthy facts about almonds:
- When compared to other tree nuts, almonds are the highest in protein containing 6 gm protein, 3.5gm fiber and 160 calories /1oz
- One ideal portion per day of almonds = 1 good size hand full or 23 almonds
- Almonds contain 35% daily value of Vitamin E, which benefits your skin
- Consuming 20% of total calories from almonds helped improve insulin sensitivity in individuals with pre-diabetic as according to a study published in the Journal of the American College of Nutrition.
- Almond oil is a great substitute for virgin olive oil. It adds a light and nutty flavor to your salad
Here’s how to win:
- Make sure you “like” The Good Calorie on Facebook
- Share this article on Facebook with your friends
- Tell TGC on Facebook or Twitter your favorite recipe that uses almonds by commenting or tweeting using @TheGoodCalorie and #ilovealmonds
Winners will be chosen from the pool of folks who comment or tweet. The more you comment and share, the higher your chance of winning! Winning period closes April 20th.
Tin will be mailed to preferred address of winner (if within continental United States). You will be notified by private message on Facebook or Twitter.
Article written by Sabine Saoud RD, CDN